Equality, diversity and inclusion
NHS Bath and North East Somerset, Swindon and Wiltshire Clinical Commissioning Group (BSW CCG) recognises and values the diversity of our local communities. We are committed to equality, diversity and inclusion, not least because we believe these are fundamental to the commissioning of modern, high quality health services.
On 1 April 2020, we set the following equality objectives for our CCG:
- Equality and diversity public sector duties will be duly considered by all staff when carrying out business as usual; by the use of a consistent approach of a BSW approved Equality Impact Assessment template process.
- An Equality Impact Assessment will be submitted to accompany any proposed procurements, changes or alterations to services commissioned to the relevant committee, noting all potential actions to eliminate discrimination, advance equality of opportunity and engagement with key groups and providers of services.
- Local population and service user groups will be engaged with; to determine locality requirements such as specific language translation, cultural needs and accessibility to services.
In August 2021, we published our Equality and Diversity Strategy.
Click below to find out how else we eliminate unlawful discrimination and promote outcome equality.
Provide regular engagement opportunities across BSW ↓
Engaging with local people, representative groups and stakeholders helps us to understand the needs of those living across BSW and ensure that health and care services are best designed to meet these needs. There are a number of ways you can get involved - find out more here.
Ensure equality and health inequality data informs our work ↓
Facts, figures and intelligence about our local area, communities and population can be found in the Joint Strategic Needs Assessments (JSNA).
There are three JSNAs for our area and we use the data from them, along with local knowledge and feedback from the community, to understand how health and care services should look.
The JSNAs have been developed by Bath and North East Somerset, Swindon and Wiltshire Councils and can be found here:
Conduct Equality Impact Assessments ↓
We carry out equality impact assessments as part of every project so that we can assess how a proposed policy, service or decision could affect local people. This helps us ensure that we don’t discriminate against people based on their protected characteristics.
By carrying out equality impact assessment on all relevant developments, we are able to identify potential problems before they arise, helping us to ensure equality for all.
Meet our Public Sector Equality Duty ↓
The Equality Act 2010 introduced the Public Sector Equality Duty.
As a public sector organisation, our general duties include eliminating unlawful discrimination, harassment and victimisation; advancing equality of opportunity between different groups of people; and removing or minimising disadvantages suffered by people due to their protected characteristics.
In the context of the Public Sector Equality Duty, protected characteristics are:
- Gender reassignment
- Marriage and civil partnership
- Pregnancy and maternity
- Race (this includes ethnic or national origins, colour or nationality)
- Religion or belief (including lack of belief)
- Sex (male or female)
- Sexual orientation
Our specific duties require us to set equality objectives once every four years and to annually publish relevant, proportionate information, demonstrating our compliance with the Equality Duty.
Provide information in a range of formats ↓
As an NHS body, we are required to meet the Accessible Information Standard in full.